Right now is the perfect time to start sprucing up your rental property, and Fort Worth property management services can help. Specialized Fort Worth has been helping property owners maintain their homes with the following tips for over 30 years, and we know what it takes to avoid vacancies, expensive repairs, and unhappy tenants. In fact, we know that if you follow the tips we’ve provided below, you’ll experience peace of mind and both your property and its tenants will thank you.
“We are pleased to help landlords and homeowners outside our client family be more effective and help their properties perform better,” explains the Director of Operations at Specialized Property Management Fort Worth. “We work hard to stay abreast of the regulatory changes that come into play, and we have learned by experience the proactive steps needed to protect the property while protecting the owner from liability.”
The Fort Worth rental property management summer home maintenance tips we will cover are curb appeal, low maintenance landscaping, storm cleanup, and a list of things to do every year around this time to prevent major maintenance issues down the road.
Curb Appeal and Landscaping
Curb appeal for a home is like a first impression for people. It only takes a few seconds for someone driving by to decide what they think of the home and if it’s not well taken care of, they’ll keep driving without any second thoughts. If your property has overgrown grass, junk on the lawn, weeds, or just looks dirty, it could increase your vacancies and deter future tenants. Create a plan and set a budget to decide what’s the highest priority. Fort Worth rental property management can help you find preferred vendors in order for you to be smart with your money. If you don’t have the time to spruce up your property’s outward appearance, consider hiring Fort Worth property management services to do the following:
- Low Maintenance Landscaping: Texas locals understand the headache it is to control weeds from taking over your yard. Sometimes it seems easier to just give up than do the backbreaking work of weeding on a regular basis. The best thing you can do to keep your lawn looking green and healthy is to choose the right grass (St. Augustine and Buffalo Grass do well in the Texas climate), fertilize it at the right time of the year, aerate your lawn, irrigate it or install a sprinkler system, clean it, and mow it consistently. You may still have to spend some time weeding and pruning bushes and trees, but if it means consistent tenants and subsequently more income, it’s worth it.
- Plant Flowers: Ask your Fort Worth rental property management company or do your research on which flowers bloom at what times and how long they can last. Chrysanthemums, Bottlebrush plants, Snapdragons, and Pansies usually do well in the Texas winter. Lavender is another plant that smells wonderful, is a natural bug repellent, and doesn’t need a lot of watering. Planting them in a flower bed near your front door, in a garden box, or hanging them on your front porch are all great ways to let prospective tenants know that this property is beautiful and well taken care of.
- Use Mulch or Stones: Consider adding mulch or stones to an outdoor area so you don’t have to worry about the upkeep of grass as much. These are low maintenance options that are durable in any weather and add interest and texture. This is also a great place to put outdoor furniture or decorative pieces.
- Patios, Decks, and Walkways: Another way to add interest to your home while keeping things low maintenance is to install walkways, patios, or decks to your landscaping. Tenants will appreciate the extra space for lounging outdoors as well so they can entertain or spend time with friends and family. Your Fort Worth rental property management company will know landscape design vendors that can help make your vision come to life.
- Drought-Tolerant Landscaping: Drought-tolerant landscaping, xeriscaping, or smart-scaping are all a type of gardening that reduces the need for watering. It doesn’t always mean planting cactus and spreading rocks as some people think. Check with your local garden center for help identifying native plants that are drought resistant. An agave plant or a Texas sage is a good place to start.
- Give Your Tenants Tools: If your lease states it is the tenant’s job to keep up with the landscaping, consider providing them with tools to help them out and making sure that they don’t have any excuses for not doing their part. Your tenant will be much more likely to keep up with gardening and mowing if they don’t have to purchase the tools themselves. If you want the grass to stay nice and green, consider installing a sprinkler system and instructing them on how to use it to make it even easier for your tenant.
- Storm Cleanup: Fort Worth, Texas is not exempt from natural disasters and often the aftermath of a thunderstorm, tornado, flooding, or worse can leave your property looking like a huge mess. Fort Worth rental property management recommends assessing the damage, taking pictures for your home insurance, and taking careful inventory of what was broken or potential hazards. Use caution when clearing away broken tree limbs to avoid additional liability or insurance issues. Take note of your yard drainage system as well and replace any mulch that was washed away so you’ll be ready for the next storm.
- Handle Standing Water: Fort Worth summers and rainstorms can result in a lot of standing water which can be dangerous. Standing water will attract mosquitoes who carry diseases like ZIKA and West Nile Virus so it needs to be taken care of right away. Use caution by wearing rubber gloves when handling standing water as it can contain deadly bacteria and sewage. Always wash your hands after handling standing water.
More Fort Worth Rental Property Management Summer Maintenance Tips
When you’re attending to your property in the spring, don’t forget about the inside of your home. Just as important as curb appeal, landscaping, and storm cleanup are the following indoor maintenance tips:
- Check HVAC equipment to ensure it is in working order
- Replace A/C and ventilation filters
- Remove unwanted build-up on fans and forced airways
- Check basement humidifiers, dehumidifiers, and dampers
- Check for lease compliance issues
If you are consistent in doing these things every spring, you’ll be able to avoid huge maintenance issues in the future and unnecessary vacancies. Your tenants will be able to better enjoy living in your property and will respect you for the hard work you’ve put into making your property feel like their home. However, we understand that keeping up with all of these things is time-consuming and that’s why we suggest taking advantage of Fort Worth property management services that can do the work for you.
“Many of our clients simply don’t have the time or expertise to pay attention to the small, but important details that will protect their long-term cash flow, so they trust us to provide full-service management of their rental property,” explains the Director of Operations. “A truly professional property manager will pay for themselves and end up increasing the return on investment by avoiding costly mistakes and addressing issues proactively.”
Why Choose Specialized Fort Worth Rental Property Management
At Specialized Property Management Fort Worth, our team of property management experts are the ones to trust for updating and maintaining your property. We have been advising property owners all over Fort Worth and helping them manage their rental properties effectively and efficiently for over 30 years. With a 98% customer satisfaction rating, and a #1 listing out of 270 property managers, you can rest assured that your property and tenants will be well taken care of. Some of the Fort Worth property management services we offer are:
- No Hidden Fees
- Faster Leasing
- Online Marketing
- Effective Tenant Screening
- Financial Peace of Mind
- 24-Hour Support
- Local Expertise
- Straightforward Communication
- Cost-Effective Maintenance
- Online Portal/Rent Collection
Our team at Specialized Fort Worth Rental Property Management lives and works locally, so we know the Fort Worth climate and rental market and can help you pick the right landscaping designs, make the correct curb appeal updates, keep up with seasonal maintenance, and advertise successfully with tenants. We also know that keeping tenants happy is a top priority because it’s a win for everyone involved and can help promote your property to future tenants. You can trust us with your property and your tenants because we’ve seen it all and have learned how to be one of the most successful property management companies out there. Our proven processes save you time, money, and stress while making it easy for tenants to pay rent online and access online information. Let us help make your life easier by managing your property for you. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you maintain your beautiful rental property.