The Millennial generation is in the news every other day. This generation has been accused of ruining things from the 9-5 workday to bars of soap (according to a list compiled by Marketwatch). While millennials may not be ruining everyone lives, it is true that times are changing and the millennial generation is leading the pack. How should the rental housing market respond? Below, we discuss who millennials are, what they want, and how a Fort Worth property manager can help you attract millennial tenants.
Who are Millennials?
To start with, who are we talking about when we talk about millennials?
- Young(ish): The Pew Research Center defines millennials as “those born after 1980 and the first generation to come of age in the new millennium.” Generally speaking, as of 2018 millennials are 18-38 year olds.
- Tech-savvy: This group has seen rapid advancement in technology, and is the first to come of age in a world with access to the internet and cell phones. Many work in tech industries, and it is hard to imagine any millennials without a smartphone in hand.
- Large: In 2016 millennials overtook baby boomers to become the largest living generation. Pew also reports millennials make up the largest age group of renters at about 18.4 million. As such, it is important that rental property managers stay up to date with why millennials are renting and what they are looking for in rental homes.
Why are Millennials Renting?
As mentioned above the millennial generation is often blamed for “ruining” industries, which is in part because they have different values than the generations before them. Millennials tend to value freedom and experiences over stability and material things. In the housing market that translates into behaviors such as picking up and moving suddenly for a job and using their savings for travel instead of a down payment on a house. Also, the average debt of this generation is in the tens of thousands, making home ownership seem like a far-off dream to many.
What Do Millennials Want in a Rental Home?
For millennials who don’t want or are unable to buy a home, renting a single family home is the next best thing. As this generation enters their 30s, they are more likely to start a family and search for a home that is family friendly to settle down in, even if it is only for a few years until their next move. This generation also likes to have fun, so being close to amenities and transportation is especially important. Lastly, the Washington Post reports that a majority of people in their 30s own pets, meaning that they will be looking for a rental home that allows pets.
Tips for Attracting Millennials from a Fort Worth Property Manager
Now that you know a little bit about millennials, how can you go about attracting them to your rental property? With so many millennials renting, you may think attracting them is simple. However, as mentioned above, millennials have different values than previous generations. Here are a few ways an experienced Fort Worth residential property management company can help you attract millennials.
- Use technology to your advantage in marketing. Millennials search for rental houses online. If you don’t have an online presence, it is doubtful they will ever find your property for rent. A property management company can list your house on several websites and even create a video walk-through so potential renters can view the house virtually.
- Consider your lease terms. With many millennials desiring a “no-strings-attached” type of lifestyle, consider lease terms that will not hinder this. If you’re having trouble finding tenants for a long-term (more than one year) lease, consider offering a shorter one, possibly even a month-to-month arrangement. Your Fort Worth property manager can help you draw up a lease that will be appealing to these shorter-term renters.
- Update your home with smart technology. If you have to make updates, consider going with the “smart” version of these updates. A smart thermostat, for example, will let your renter control the temperature remotely from their smartphone. These smart updates have the bonus of lower energy costs, and may even give you a tax-deduction (always check with your tax advisor about this perk before buying).
Why Choose Specialized Property Management Fort Worth
Your rental property business will be more successful and more lucrative, if you hire experienced property management. Specialized Property Management Fort Worth gives its clients proven rental processes that have kept up with changing times and changing tenants. When you choose to take advantage of the business expertise provided by our Fort Worth residential property management here are a few services you will receive:
- Online Property Listings: your property will be listed on multiple websites to ensure full exposure to renters.
- Owner and Tenant Portals: you will be able to view reports and pictures from your property at any time. Your renter will be able to pay rent and submit maintenance tickets with the same ease.
- 24-Hour Support: when your renter has an emergency they call us, at any time of the day or night.
- Advice from Experts: our property managers not only have years of experience with what works in property management, but they also stay up-to-date with what works now, for millennial tenants and every other generation too. Why not put that expertise to good use and make the most out of your rental investment?
To start working with a professional, experienced Fort Worth property manager today call Specialized Property Management Fort Worth.