Repairing, replacing, and cleaning the carpet in your rental home can be a major expense if you aren’t proactive about how you install and care for it. Arlington property management company Specialized recommends taking these steps when choosing and caring for the carpet so you can make a good investment.
Arlington Property Managers Carpet Recommendations
When choosing a carpet for your rental home think about these points:
- Type: choose a type known for durability. The fibers and density should be your main considerations. Look for stain resistant, dense fibers to keep the carpet looking good even when tenants don’t care for it like they should.
- Color: it goes without saying that white carpet is a bad choice. Go for darker shades to hide dirt and stains.
- Stain treatment: some carpet suppliers offer additional stain treatments. These can be a good investment to prolong the life of your carpet.
- Installation basics: keep carpet away from the entryway, kitchen, and bathrooms as these areas attract the most dirt and moisture that can ruin carpets.
Regular Carpet Cleaning and Care
To make sure the carpet stays looking its best when you have tenants in your home, Arlington property managers recommend these cleaning basics.
- Vacuum regularly: it may be a wise investment to supply your tenant with a vacuum cleaner. At around $100, it is a low-cost investment in keeping your carpet clean on a regular basis.
- Pay for professional cleaning: a yearly deep clean of your carpet is a good idea. Schedule a yearly cleaning and remind tenants in advance of this regular maintenance task.
- Limit pets: consider limiting the type or number of pets you allow in your rental home. Pets can damage the carpets or cause them to have an odor. Alternatively, you can charge your tenant a “pet fee” to offset the cost of cleaning or replacing the carpets.
With a little bit of thinking ahead you can keep the carpets in your rental home looking nice. Your Arlington property management company, Specialized, is here to help you with any questions or concerns about the flooring in your home. Give us a call today to hear about all the services we offer!