Tenant screening is a corner that many landlords feel they can cut. It makes sense to think “this person seems nice enough, they have a job, what could go wrong?” And it is certainly true that the faster you place a tenant in your rental home the faster you might see the rent checks coming in. But at Specialized, we know the dangers of careless tenant screening. We are here to remind you just how important it is, and how you can go about screening potential tenants.
Why Screen Tenants?
When you place a tenant in your rental home you are trusting them to make their rent payments, but how do you know if you can trust the applicants? While it is true that there may be unforeseen circumstances for even the best tenants, you can be sure to save a lot of headaches by thoroughly screening your applicants. A careful screening of their background, credit, and rental history can give you peace of mind that you are leasing to someone who will take care of your home and has a record of trustworthiness. That is why the top Fort Worth property management company recommends screening every applicant before they sign a lease.
How to screen potential tenants
Screening potential tenants includes:
- Requiring an application for tenants over 18 years old.
- Verifying combined tenant income that is at least three times the rental rate.
- Avoiding tenants with evictions and judgments, and asking for an explanation of late or unpaid payments.
- Verify past two years of rental history and make contact with previous landlords to ask if there was any major damage while the applicant lived there.
- Comply with all anti-discrimination laws and fair credit reporting act during the screening process.
Your Specialized Team’s Ft Worth property management can help you expedite these processes so you can place a quality tenant as soon as possible. Give our office a call today to learn more about all our services.